Club History

Est. 1948
 
Westborough Country Club 1933
April 1, 1978 Fire
 
2008 Expansion Groundbreaking

April 2009 Fitness Center & Pool Building Construction

Today’s Westborough stands on the site once occupied by Westwood Country Club, which had
opened in this location in 1908.

In 1928, Walter Pfeiffer bought the course and turned it into a public facility. Parcels of the original
plot were sold to the Webster Groves School District and the Webster Groves Christian Church in
the late forties in order to keep the Club financially solvent. It was then that the entrance to the
Club was moved from Sappington Road (behind #1 green) to its present day Berry Road location.

In 1948, a small group of Westborough’s founding Members purchased the Club, using their own business collateral. Because there was not enough money to restore the buildings, maintain the
golf course or hire kitchen and service help, much of the work was done by the Members
themselves.  Many of the original group of investors bought two memberships in order to get the
Club started. It didn’t take long for the word to get out and by its fourth year of operation, Westborough’s membership ranks had filled.

The Club has suffered its share of setbacks through the years. An April Fool’s Day fire (one of
three fires in Westborough's history) in 1978 destroyed most of the Clubhouse. With the same unmatched determination of the Founders, the Club was rebuilt.

The golf course, originally designed by Tom Bendelow (Mission Hills, Lakewood Country Club,
Medinah Number 1, 2 & 3), found itself in much need of renovation in the early 90’s. Renowned
architect Gary Kern was called upon to redevelop much of the golf course, redesigning bunkers, rerouting fairways and adding the predominant mounding throughout the golf course that has
become Westborough’s character and trademark. No green, fairway or bunker was left untouched.

Hot on the heels of the golf course reconstruction was a $2.2 million addition to the clubhouse in
2001. Included in the comprehensive plan was a new men’s locker room, remodeled ladies locker room, new cart storage and expanded golf and tennis buildings, new junior locker facilities and a refurbished foyer. The golf course and clubhouse work was completed in just 3 years from start to finish.

In 2008 we were at it again with the ground breaking of a $5.5 million dollar expansion project.
The project was completed in spring of 2009 and included significant upgrades and playability improvements to the golf course designed by Roger Null, Clubhouse improvements with a new
casual dining room, new full-service state-of-the-art fitness center and new pool building as well
as upgraded youth and family programs.

The now well-rooted golf course and family friendly clubhouse facilities only add to the excitement and camaraderie for which the membership has always been known. A Membership for which, based on the tradition of the founders, no task is too great so long as pride and determination are the driving forces.